Saturday, May 12, 2012

What makes you "Mom Enough"?

I've had a couple days to mull over the cover of TIME magazine.  If you haven't seen it, it is a photo of a svelte woman breastfeeding her almost 4 year old who is standing in a chair.  The tag-line..... Are YOU mom enough?  This photo has sparked SO much controversy.  Some were appalled at the age of the child breastfeeding.  I was appalled that it came across to women that they weren't mom enough if they didn't breastfeed to almost 4 years old and practice attachment parenting.  And I breastfeed and practice attachment parenting. 
Magazine cover in question
Courtesy TIME magazine

So what makes a mother "mom enough"?  Honestly as long as she does what is right for her family, she's mom enough in my eyes.  Being a mom is hard enough without constantly worrying if you are good enough. 

So you exclusively breastfeed, good job.  Oh, you supplement with formula, awesome.  What's that, you only formula feed?  Amazing.  Whether you babywear or use a stroller; cloth diaper or use sposies; vaccinate or not, you are MOM ENOUGH.  Same goes for co-sleeping or using a crib; working full-time, part-time or staying home; making baby's food or buying it, every choice you make for your child with their best interest at heart makes you the best mom in the world.

I saw another photo posted on Facebook and I don't know who credit goes to, but it says everything I've said here.  Don't worry about what the mom next door is doing.  Do your best and that's all that matters.
If you know who the credit goes to,
please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. I saw that cover, and WO! I don't know if it needed to be covered, but all of us moms do everything we can to make the best for our children (hopefully) and that's what makes a mom Enough. The love, the constant care, the desire to be a good mother and help our children... It's definitely enough... It's more than enough, and some children don't get it, which is sad to me. My mom was great, and I think I was a pretty good mom to my daughter.... I think it's because we cared and did our best. Every mother makes mistakes, and no mom is perfect, but we try, and we do our best as much as we can. All you moms out there, keep loving and doing all you can for your children! And don't worry about how other moms are doing it. We're all different, and be glad you are raising your child. It is such a gift, to raise a child. Use it well. Love always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all that YOU said. I was like Erin about the cover I totally support breastfeeding but that cover I wonder really what was Time's point. To me it was trying to make something perverted out of a very special thing between Mother and baby. Left me a bit upset, I didn't read the article.

    I think you have said it all here Mother/child relationships can and are built on so many things. Love is the biggest!!

    You are right too we don't need to question ourselves and if others are questioning what we are doing then no one really wins. Be secure with who you are and in what you are doing don't listen to what other people think they don't know you or your situation.
    I get a LOT of advice none asked for by the way about my oldest son, who does have an attachment disorder and fetal alcohol and before anyone starts to judge me, he was adopted.
    I do have a group of friends that I talk too and they offer love and support they don't judge me. It's not like I didn't already raise two daughters, they act like this is my first time to parent a child. I really think if people like that would walk up and hug a Mom/Dad rather it's Mom of normal children or one of children with special needs and show her love and support they empower her to be an even better Mom!


    Thank you for blogging about this! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They put that provacative photo on the cover to rile people up and get them to read the article. If they had really wanted to educate people on attachment parenting why not show a mom wearing her baby or parents co-sleeping? Why? Because they knew what would get people's attention the quickest way. Thank you Sherry, I love you too!

      Delete